23 July 2014

Obsessed with this: Content about obsessions, Birks and sketching

Hello, all! It's been ages, so I thought I'd refresh the old blog by sharing some content I'm obsessed with.

Just to let you know, the following were published months ago and are not "new." But I am not sharing them because they are new; I am sharing them because
they took hold of me and will not let me go.

1. The feature:


I tweeted a couple weeks ago about this brilliant article in food/writing journal Lucky Peach called "Insane" by Chris Ying. Ying makes it his mission to unveil the secrets behind the insanity of sports fandom at The Iron Bowl -- the yearly clash between bitter football rivals Auburn and Alabama. The piece also appeared in San Fran-based Medium. I love the long-form narrative, the fish-out-of-water perspective, the social commentary, the wit -- "Insane" tells a pretty compelling story. You can still pick up a copy of Lucky Peach Spring 2014 in print online or at Barnes & Noble (if it's still on newsstands). 

2. The podcast:

This American Life

Originally aired 7.28.2000

165: Americans In Paris

Many Americans have dreamy and romantic ideas about Paris, notions which probably trace back to the 1920s vision of Paris created by the expatriate Americans there. But what's it actually like in Paris if you're an American, without rose-colored glasses?

Ira Glass talks to one of my favorite American authors (everyone's favorite American author?), David Sedaris and others as he aims to demystify what Paris is REALLY like. Is it really like the idealistic American vision of perfection with Parisians always talking about art and movies and smoking and Satre? Listen and find out.

3. Birkenstocks, guise.



Evidently they are trending. Which is great, because life is too short for uncomfortable shoes. 
4. Psssst...I've been sketching with super colorful markers. 

The rainbow is alive and well, people.
I like hobbies. I hate the word hobbies. But sketching, by definition, is totally one of mine along with pleasure reading, taking long walks on the beach and spending time with loved ones. I'm actually really serious. I love all those things!

I also love looking at other people's art, sketches and illustrations. Link some of yours below! Also, what do ya'll like to do in your free time? What are you obsessed with lately? Aside from Netflix. Actually, what are you watching? I've been on a Six Feet Under kick (HBO GO is should be HBO GOD) and am almost finished with the series! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment